The liver in the body is an important organ and has important function like detoxification of the body, hormone production, plasma protein synthesis and production of biochemical required for digestion. Therefore a liver is an essential organ in the body. Any disruption in the functioning of the liver can cause illness.
Since liver performs many critical functions in the body, liver disease can cause significant damage to the body. Liver disease is also called hepatic disease. In this, the decrease in functions of the liver can lead to potential dangers. The damage to this vital organ can be by inflammation of the cells, obstruction of bile flow, accumulation of cholesterol, damage of liver tissues and disruption of blood flow to the liver. The causes of liver diseases could be the following:
1. Alcohol: This is one of the most common causes for liver diseases. Alcohol can cause inflammation and malfunction of this vital organ.
2. Drugs: Certain drugs and medications can cause damage to the liver.
3. Cirrhosis: Scarring of liver and loss of functioning cells can cause failure.
Each kind of disease has its own treatment. Some problems are treated with medications while some may require surgery. Transplant may be required if there is liver failure. Herbal remedies for liver diseases are available for curing this condition. Some of the herbal remedies for this disease are as follows:
1. Fumaria officinalis: Its used as a tonic and as a diuretic.
2. Wild Indigo: This is used in liver problems especially in cirrhosis and viral hepatitis.
3. Rheum Emodi: This helps in disorders of the spleen and liver.
4. Milk Thistle: This is one of the herbal remedies for liver diseases like hepatitis. It can also lead to strengthening of this vital organ.
5. Valerian: This herb has antispasmodic effect and is useful in liver problems.
6. Licorice Root: Licorice has anti inflammatory properties and slows the deterioration of the liver.
7. Dandelion: Use dandelion for making herbal tea. It stimulates the liver and helps in detoxification of the liver.
8. Chicory: The chicory juice promotes secretion of bile and is good for the liver.
9. Gokulakanta: This is used to treating liver problems like hepatitis and jaundice and thus one of the herbal remedies for this diseases.
10. Chamomile: This herb has cooling properties and is used to cleanse the liver and reduce inflammation of this organ.
11. Dong Quai: This herb is effective against long term infections of the liver. It has been used in combinations of other herbs to treat chronic disorders of the liver.
12. Wolfberry: This has been used to protect the liver since ages in China.
Some of these herbs, if taken in excess can cause harmful effects or taken in certain conditions. It is therefore advised to take these herbs under supervision.
Apart from these herbal remedies for liver diseases, one needs to drink plenty of water and eliminate alcohol completely. Eat protein rich food and avoid oily and fatty foods in your diet. Papaya is said to be very beneficial and helps in reducing all kinds of liver problems. Many herbal supplements are available in the markets which are made of combinations of different herbs that help the functioning of the liver.By Dr Andrew Napier